Six Speed Coffin

Six Speed Coffin
New Sounds From SJ/07

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Human music

I recentlyhad a revelation about music and its effect on people as a whole. Music has such a profound effect on some people, it changes some lives even. I realize now, as a musician, that the music that is written and produced today is not some form of life-changing art but just words. Just words from other human beings. Yet there is something about the words from the souls of others that captures the imagination and emotions of us all. Im saddened a little bit at the realization that every song that had an impact on me wasn't just a message for me and me alone but an anthem put out to the masses. Its a somewhat depressing thought to understand and I hope I don't ruin anyone's musical adventures out there but Im glad I came to this realization because it puts the world into a little bit more fo a focus. I know now that you shouldn't always just take a song at it's face value. When a song is played, the person listening should do more than just 'hear' the song, but really 'listen' to what's being said and the emaning behind it. This isn't to say that a song can't have a personal effect on people's lives but just to bring awareness to some messages that may or may not be in the music you listen to.

As I went through this phase of eye-opening discovery, I came to yet another realization (Im a pretty un-enlightened guy aren't I? lol), another realization that this is what I want my music to accompish. I want people to hear the music me and my friends make and I want it to have an impact on them, but I want them to really grasp the meaning of the songs. To not just understand the words, but to understand WHY those words were chosen and why the artist used them. So next time you hear a song that moves you a little bit, listen closer....you may be surprised of the extent of the message the artist is trying to convey.

No comments: